Ten Ways to Exercise Your SL (Self Love) Muscles
“Women don’t need to find a voice. They have a voice. They need to be empowered to use it and people need to be trained to listen” - Meghan Markle
This month I found inspiration from Meghan Markle. In an age of snap chat filters, photo shop, heavy make up, & Kardashian influence, she shows up on her wedding day with minimal make up that allows her natural pigmentation to be visible for the world to see. This display of self-assuredness is an excellent role model for young women. As a matter of fact, we all could use a healthy dose of self assuredness.
Loving self requires conscious effort, like a muscle that needs to be flexed regularly. With that in mind, I have gathered ten short exercises and rituals to strengthen your SL muscles.
1. Practice “Device Hygiene”. Though iIt takes self control, the general rules for device hygiene include:
- No looking at your cellular device, tablet, or computer when you first awake
- Do not take your cell phone or computer to bed
- If Social Media gives you FOMO (fear of missing out), limit or avoid engaging
Limiting the use of computers around bed time helps you to stay present in the moment, improving focus and decreasing depression.
2. Take time for a luxurious bath with essential oils and candles. Need I say more?
3. Affirmations: Look into the mirror and say positive affirmations such as, “You are so cool and intelligent, strong and fierce!” Or a simple, “I love you”.
4. Write down 10 qualities you love about yourself.
5. Write down 10 things you are grateful for.
6. Surround yourself with simple items that you give you pleasure, such as fresh cut flowers. Keeping your environment clutter-free also contributes to good vibes.
7. Immerse yourself in nature. Just 20 minutes in a natural environment can lower cortisol and decrease stress.
8. Get a professional facial or relaxing body treatment.
9. Practice yoga and breath work.
10. Lastly, enhance your physical assets with an attitude and mindset of self love. Of course I believe in using the technology gifted to us to keep skin and body looking great. We aren’t cave women. Even natural beauty, Meghan Markle, is known to use skincare products, treatments, make up and hair tricks to keep her Highness looking her best.
One of the most natural treatments we offer at Thermae is the VIVA RF (Radio Frequency) Resurfacing Treatment followed by Skin Boosters and PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma). Resurfacing with RF is a non-laser, non-ablative skin treatment that delivers controlled injury to the superficial dermis while emitting volumetric heat to the tissues. The result is a tightening of the elastin fibres and stimulation of collagen in the skin.
It sounds complicated but all it is doing is creating microscopic holes in the skin’s surface which cause a natural stimulation of new collagen and elastin. This is an optimum time to apply natural skin boosters such as Belotero HYDRO Hyaluronic Acid for direct hydration to the tissues. In addition, we can apply PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) derived from your own blood. PRP is rich in growth factors which encourage tissue healing and improvement of skin integrity.
It is appropriate to treat the entire face and neck, especially areas that Botox and filler cannot efficiently resolve, such as under the eyes or deep upper lip lines.
We recommend a series of 3 treatment sessions be done one month apart for optimum results. For a complete consultation and to see if this is appropriate for you, contact Thermae at thermae.ca.